DILI, 07 february 2026 (TATOLI) — Prime Minister Kay Rala Xanana Gusmão on saturday inaugurated three new classrooms and a teachers’ room at CONCIN Branch Basic School (EBF CONCIN) in Bucolelo suco, Laulara administrative post, Aileu municipality.
The project was entirely funded by the Kwan family, an Indonesian business family based in Timor-Leste, represented at the ceremony by Rudy Yanto.
The event was attended by Vice-Prime Minister Mariano Assanami Sabino, Minister of Education Dulce de Jesus Soares, Secretary of State for Secondary General and Technical-Vocational Education Domingos Lemos, Secretary of State for Social Communication Expedito Dias Ximenes, and local authorities.
During the ceremony, the Prime Minister expressed appreciation for the Kwan family’s initiative, highlighting the role of the private sector in national development.
“The Minister of Education has inaugurated many schools without my presence, but today I made a point of being here to thank Rudy Yanto. This gesture demonstrates the generosity and commitment of the private sector to the country’s development,” he said.
According to the Head of Government, “Rudy Yanto not only supports this school, but also builds houses for vulnerable families, especially the elderly. This is an example of solidarity and contribution to the country.”
Education Minister Dulce de Jesus Soares said that although she had inaugurated several school buildings constructed by different partners, this was the first time she had opened a school fully funded and initiated by a private company.
“On behalf of the Ministry of Education, we express our gratitude to the Kwan family. The Ministry may not have the means to repay this gesture, but Timorese students will recognise it,” she said.
Rudy Yanto said he considers Timor-Leste his second home, which motivated him to provide support. He stressed that the amount invested is less important than the future of the younger generation.
He added that over more than 20 years in Timor-Leste, the family has contributed to road construction projects, particularly in Viqueque municipality, built houses for vulnerable families and single mothers, supplied furniture to schools and orphanages, and supported sports activities.
Bucolelo Village chief Januário Guterres Pereira described the support as “a miracle and a great blessing” for the community, noting that children previously had to walk long distances to attend school.
Founded in 2005, EBF CONCIN previously had three classrooms serving grades one to four. The school has now expanded to include grade five, with grade six scheduled to be introduced next year.
The school currently has 113 students — 60 boys and 53 girls — supported by four permanent teachers and two contract teachers.
Journalist: Osória Marques
Editor: Xisto Freitas da Piedade
Translation: Camilio de Sousa




