DILI, 31 July 2025 (TATOLI) – Vice Minister for Institutional Strengthening in Health, José Magno dos Reis, stated that although the World Health Organization (WHO) officially declared Timor-Leste malaria-free on July 24, epidemiological surveillance must remain active, as health personnel across municipalities remain deeply committed to this area.
“Surveillance must continue so we remain alert. Every municipality has dedicated personnel in this area. The certification we received from WHO wasn’t granted overnight by the Director-General in Geneva,” José Magno dos Reis said during a visit to the Menzies Laboratory in Lecidere.
Related news:Timor-Leste achieves Malaria-free status, tackles Rabies and TB with WHO support
Magno explained that WHO evaluation teams visited Timor-Leste multiple times to observe and assess the situation before the certification was granted.
“They came repeatedly, with large teams and experts. They reviewed everything. We had to prepare thoroughly to meet the certification requirements,” he added.
Following the final visit, the team submitted a report to the WHO Director-General in Geneva, who then issued the certification on July 24, 2025.
“On July 24, we received the official information. Everyone must help disseminate this news to the community. This wasn’t easy – it required national awareness and collective effort. This achievement doesn’t belong solely to the Government or the Ministry of Health. It belongs to the people of Timor-Leste, and we must all remain vigilant,” he emphasized.
The executive urged the public to continue caring for the environment, avoid indiscriminate waste disposal, and maintain hygiene practices to prevent the resurgence of disease.
“Timor-Leste is now truly malaria-free. However, in recent years, there have been a few imported cases from neighboring countries. We’ve managed those, and currently, there are no cases,” he confirmed.
Entry points such as airports and ports are now being monitored to ensure the situation remains under control.
“Yesterday, we held an emergency response meeting to assess conditions at entry points. We’ll conduct simulations – not because people are ignoring the issue, but to ensure preparedness in case of future incidents,” he said.
Previously, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus announced that Timor-Leste had been certified malaria-free, marking a major public health milestone for the tropical nation, which began its fight against malaria shortly after gaining independence in 2002.
“With today’s announcement, a total of 47 countries and one territory have been certified malaria-free by WHO. Timor-Leste is the third country in the WHO South-East Asia Region to receive this certification, joining Maldives (2015) and Sri Lanka (2016). Notably, this also marks Timor-Leste’s second disease elimination in two years, following its lymphatic filariasis-free certification in 2024,” he explained.
WHO congratulated the people and Government of Timor-Leste, stating that the achievement proves malaria can be eliminated with strong political will, smart interventions, sustainable investment, and dedicated health workers.
Certification is granted when a country proves, beyond reasonable doubt, that indigenous transmission has been interrupted nationwide for at least three consecutive years.
“Timor-Leste reduced malaria cases from a peak of over 223,000 in 2006 to zero indigenous cases from 2021 onward – a remarkable achievement in a tropical, mountainous country where climate conditions favor year-round mosquito breeding and transmission,” WHO concluded
Journalist: Felicidade Ximenes
Editor: Cancio Ximenes
Translation: Rafael Ximenes de A. Belo




