iklan

INTERNATIONAL, HEADLINE

Timor-Leste’s Embassy in Japan confirms safety of Timorese citizens amid Ishikawa Earthquake

Timor-Leste’s Embassy in Japan confirms safety of Timorese citizens amid Ishikawa Earthquake

Image Kyodo

DILI, 03 january 2024 (TATOLI) – As of tuesday, Timor-Leste’s Embassy in Japan confirmed that no Timorese citizens were harmed in Ishikawa Earthquake, Japan.

Timor-Leste’s ambassador to Japan, Ilídio da Costa Ximenes, said that the embassy has checked and so far no Timorese citizens have been affected by the earthquake.

“There are currently 54 Timorese citizens living in Japan, including 47 students and seven workers. They are in good condition,” Ambassador Ximenes said.

The embassy continues to monitor the condition of Timorese nationals living in areas affected by the 7.6 magnitude earthquake.

Japan Meteorological Agency issued a special warning for a potential tsunami measuring 3 meters or higher in Ishikawa’s Noto Peninsula, and downgraded it hours later. A tsunami measuring 1.2 meters or higher reached Wajima Port in the prefecture, reported The Mainichi.

The earthquake began at around 4pm local time on monday (01/01). The earthquake was reported near the Noto Peninsula, Ishikawa prefecture, Japan at a depth of 10km and has claimed 62 victims, said Aljazeera.

Residents were forced to evacuate in the dark due to power outages. People were seen carrying items such as blankets, while others rushed outside holding babies.

Monday’s earthquake is the strongest to have occurred in Ishikawa since 1885 when data first became available, according to Aljazeera. 

 

Journalist: Camilio de Sousa

Editor: Filomeno Martins

iklan
iklan

Leave a Reply

iklan
error: Content is protected !!