iklan

NATIONAL, DILI

IOM provides over 200,000 USD for RCTL to implement a disaster risk reduction program

IOM provides over 200,000 USD for RCTL to implement a disaster risk reduction program

Photo/special

DILI, 1 february 2023 (TATOLI)– The International Organization for Migration (IOM) provided more than 200,000 USD to the Timor-Leste Red Cross (TLRC) to implement disaster risk reduction that focuses on the most vulnerable communities, especially girls and women.

Secretary General of Reed Cross Timor-Leste, Luis Pedro said IOM agreed with RCTL to implement a disaster risk reduction program. This program will focus on the prevention of women and girls from violence and the prevention of vulnerable women during the disaster. 

“OIM trusts RCTL to implement this disaster risk reduction program for the majority of vulnerable women,” Secretary General of Reed Cross Timor-Leste, Luis Pedro told the Tatoli in the IOM meeting room, Caicoli, this Wednesday.

He added that this program would target the empowerment of vulnerable women and children living in municipal natural disaster-prone areas.

“We empower women to acquire more knowledge on gender-based violence, and help vulnerable communities to become aware of disasters,’” Pedro said.

Pedro said this program would be implemented in the municipalities of DILI, Baucau, Oecusse, and Covalima which covered 20 villages.

“RCTL’s target will cover 20 villages in four municipalities with more than 50,000 vulnerable people who will benefit from this program,”

So far, Pedro said, this program will be implemented by the Timor-Leste Red Cross (RCTL), for six months from February to June 2023, with funding support from IOM worth USD 200,000.

 

 

Journalist: José Belarmino De Sá

Editor: Nelia B.

iklan
iklan

Leave a Reply

iklan
error: Content is protected !!